Exporting from Parallels to VirtualBox
I've used Parallels 9 for about six months now to run a Windows 8 machine I use for development on my Mac (Macbook pro late 2011 OSX 10.9.2) and I love it. Previously I had been using VMWare Fusion 6 and I found the latter locked up all too often. Anyway I found myself wanting to export a machine I had created in Parallels to use it on another virtual host e.g. VirtualBox or XenServer. If you're not familiar with XenServer I heartily recommend it: bare bones Linux based virtual hosting.
- Remove Parallels Tools from the virtual
- Copy the Parallels virtual file to a new location and rename it (e.g. appending date) by way of a backup.
- Right click the .pvm file and "Show Package Contents"
- Right click the .hdd file and "Show Package Contents"
- Copy the .hds file to another location.
- Rename the .hds file to .hdd
- Open VirtualBox and create a new VM, selecting "using existing hdd".
Note you can also use: