Favourite Icons aka Favicons
Create the Original High Res PNG
You can use whatever size you like but remember it's going to be reduced to a poultry 16px.
- Create or download from ClipArt e.g. Clipart Library
- Ensure you have transparency (alpha channel, represented by grey check squares)
Save as Gif
- Resize the image to the highest size you need e.g. 64, 48, 32, 16 px square.
- Export as Gif e.g. favicon-64.gif, favicon-48.gif etc
Layer the Files
NB: If the colours are messed up in the new layers, change the image mode to RGB (Image, Mode, RGB)
- Open the highest res gif e.g. favicon-64.gif
- "Open as Layers" the other files (48, 32, 16)
Export as Favicon
- Export As and choose Microsoft Icon
- Optionally compress them further at this stage