A kind friend gave me his old G1 so I can play around with building Android apps, but I needed to reset it and get it working on my network to gain the full end-user experience.
- Hard reset the device:
- Turn it off
- Press and hold the “Home” and “End Call” buttons until it turns on
- An exclamation icon will come up. You can reset from this:
- Soft Reset: Press and hold the Home and Back keys simultaneously.
- Hard Reset: Slide open the keyboard and type Alt plus W
- Then you’ll need to unlock the phone to work with your carrier. You can get the unlock code from the original carrier or use a service like www.fastgsm.com. You’ll need the IMEI number which is printed on a label under the battery.