- Install the DNS Server Role
- On a Windows Server machine in Server Manager select Roles; Add Role
- Select DNS Server and Next and go through the install process.
- Configure The DNS Server
- In Server Manager; DNS Server, right click on your server’s name and select Properties
- On the Interfaces tab select ‘Only the following IP addresses and select the LAN IP e.g. 192.168.0.2
- On the Forwarders tab click Edit and type the IP address of your router: this will forward all unknown DNS requests to the router (and thus on to your ISP DNS).
- Ensure you have Dynamic updates enabled. These allow the clients to register/update their records:
- Expand the Roles;DNS Server;DNS; [Server name]; Forward Lookup Zones
- Right click on your domain e.g. ad.mylocaldomain.com and select Properties
- Ensure Dynamic Updates is set to Secure only.
17 January 2012
How to: Setup a Windows DNS Server
Labels: DNS, DNS Server, Windows Server
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment