- Prerequisites: Power, wifi, Apple Store credentials, keychain code and about an hour.
- Backup: Everything preferably with time machine, a service like Crashplan or by copying the users/[your username] folder.
- Download the Mavericks installer from the app store.
- Create a bootable 8GB USB stick
- format and name Untitlied
- Run in Terminal:
sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app --nointeraction
- Boot from the USB by pressing alt/option whilst pressing power on.
- Format the hard drive using the disk utility. If you don't do this it will install over the top, leaving files and applications intact.
- Install the OS. Using Mavericks I had 'about a second remaining' for about 15 minutes...
- Re-boot into your new OS. You will need to sign in your AppleId and enter your keychain code.
Mac PreferencesMy preferences include:
- General: Computer name
- Desktop and Screensaver: Hot Corners, bottom left, put display to sleep.
- Security: Enable Apps from any source.
- Sharing: Enable screen sharing and Computer Settings, VNC users may control screen.
- Touchpad: touch to select
- Use all F1 keys as standard function keys
- Shortcuts: Mission Control Uncheck Show Desktop/Dashboard
- Full keyboard access: All Controls
- View: Arrange By: Name; Show Path Bar; Show Tab View; Show Status bar; View Options, Always open in column view
- General: Hard Disks, New Finder Window show [username]
- Sidebar: [username], [Computer Name]
- Advanced: Show all filename extensions